In our busy world, it is becoming increasingly more difficult to get the whole family together as schedules, work, and other commitments get in the way. Sometimes, families only see each other during special occasions and we can’t help but to wish to freeze this precious moment even if just for a day.
This is something I can appreciate and it’s one of the main reasons I choose to specialise in Portrait photography. Having a great family portrait is one of the most precious things you can have in your home. As your life changes; you welcome a new addition to your family or perhaps your children have grown up and moved out or, it’s nice to have a permanent reminder of joyous occasion or a specific time in your lives. Believe me, simply looking at family portraits can bring smile to your face. For this reason, I firmly believe that setting aside time to get a family portrait taken by a professional portrait photographer is extremely important.
With years of experience in the field of portrait photography, I have some useful tips to share with you to help ensure your family portrait turns out perfect.
- Clothes – Once you have booked your portrait photography session, one thing you need to seriously consider is what you’re going to wear during the shoot. Long gone are the days when family members had to wear matching clothes and colours for their portraits. Today, what is recommended is proper coordination so your clothes will compliment each other. If you’re going to take the pictures at home, consider your home décor and the overall architectural design of your residence. I suggest to parents who have more than two kids is to look for clothing from shops that typically offer colour coordinating collections. Also, avoid wearing all black or all white outfit as this can make your portrait look boring. Instead, add texture here and there. For example, you can use scarf or a belt that can easily add more to the final portrait.
- Location – Choosing the location should be done weeks before your photography session. Generally with portrait photography, or any professional photography shoot, the photographer will review the location to properly calculate the elements. If you want your portrait to be taken on the beach, it is important to look at weather forecast, and if you have planned for an outdoor photo shoot, then a backup location is always desired – unless you want a candid portrait of your family running in the rain (which could actually work!). Often my clients prefer their portrait photography to be taken in my studio, particularly if they have small children as the environment can be easily controlled. But it is really up to you where you want your family portrait to be taken. My recommendation is to find a place that means a lot to you and your family. It could be a special place where you hang out all the time or a place that symbolises great things or fond memories for you.
- Time of the day – As a professional photographer, I always recommend photos to be taken either very early in the morning or just before the sun sets. This gives incredible lighting that can make your portrait even more captivating, especially if the location is on the beach or in a grassy park.
- Stolen shots are something that you should seriously consider – Years of offering portrait photography has taught me that taking pictures candidly makes the photos look more genuine and more real as they are very effective in telling a fuller story. I wasn’t kidding about running in the rain! So after doing traditional poses where the parents are sitting on the bench surrounded by kids and grandchildren, you can request that I, or the portrait photographer of your choosing take photos of your family while you prepare for the shoot, while you’re discussing things, or while you’re simply just enjoying each other’s company.
- Have fun – The best tip that I can give you is to have fun before, during, and after your photo shoot. Spend time with your family and share great moments while you let your photographer do what they do best. If you hire a professional Portrait photographer with years of experience in this field, you won’t have to worry about a single thing.
Professional Portrait Photography on the Gold Coast and Brisbane
As a passionate Portrait photographer and a devout mother of two, I take great pride in taking portraits of families on the Gold Coast and in Brisbane. I firmly believe that every family should set aside time in their busy lives to appreciate each other and effectively capture the unique bond that each family share.